There’s no doubt that the topic of “stubborn weight loss” holds a sort of yin yang relationship in our minds. The fact that you have come so far in your weight loss program to even be thinking about those last few pounds is remarkable. But nothing comes easy, does it? Those pesky last few inches just won’t go, and now you are faced with your own version of the dieter’s yang.
At this stage, your mind is playing tricks with how you see yourself. When you look into the mirror, despite your progress, all you can see is… the fat. That disfiguring little chunk of jelly squeezing out from the top of your pants is still so noticeable.
OK… maybe I’m being a bit of a drama queen with all of this, but I think you get my point. Hitting a plateau can be very discouraging if you don’t recognize it for what it is and make the appropriate changes to compensate for it.
Quite honestly, you should greet this news with excitement and with a sense of accomplishment. A plateau simply means that your program needs to be fine-tuned a little. By taking an evaluation of what you are eating and how you are exercising, you should be able to zero in on what changes need to be made so that this little ol’ plateau turns into just another walk in the park.
Here are some ideas to help you better understand what you are up against, and what to do about it:
- Be Mentally Prepared: Being discouraged has killed more weight loss plans than any other single factor. It’s simply a fact that the last few pounds are the most difficult to get rid of. In fact, I hate even using the word “difficult’, because it is only our perception that it is difficult. Expect this to happen, follow the steps below, and don’t even think about being discouraged. You’ve come this far, remember!
- Evaluate Your Exercise Routine: This should be an easy place to look at and make some adjustments that will increase the number of calories you burn. Make sure you are exercising every day. Two or three days a week is for amateurs, and if you’ve come this far, you’re ready to enter the ranks of the pros. Look at the intensity of your routine… seek out whatever you need to do to increase the tempo and the difficulty of your exercise regimen.
- Adjust Your Carbs: Take a closer look at your daily carbohydrate intake as well as the type of carbs you are eating. Try to select low-glycemic over high-glycemic carbs whenever possible. Choose veggies over potatoes, or choose oatmeal over cereals… low glycemic carbs convert to energy more efficiently than to fat stores. The final step in your carbohydrate adjustment is to look at cutting in half the total grams of carbs you eat each day. We’re not talking zero carbs here, just a reduction to help get us through this plateau.
- Use A Tape, Not A Scale: As you enter the final phase of weight loss, put your scale away and get out the measuring tape. By adjusting the volume and intensity of your workouts, an increase in lean muscle may offset any weight loss from additionally burned fat. This is especially true in the latter stages of any weight loss program. Try measuring your waist, hips and thighs once a week, instead of jumping on the scale.
- Enter A Race Or Join A Team: Making a commitment to train for a 5K run, joining a volleyball league, or taking a karate class is another suggestion to help push you through the last phase of your weight loss journey. Life doesn’t have to be boring; have some fun and burn calories at the same time. Not to mention the fact that the added accountability to yourself, your teammates or your instructor can only help with the determination and discipline it takes to succeed.
A Dieter’s Perception Of Good And Evil
What’s really funny is that in western cultures we tend to define the philosophy of Yin and Yang as the ongoing struggle between good and evil. But in Asian philosophy, Yin and Yang are not opposing or adversarial forces. They are considered complimentary opposites that form a necessary duality of purpose in all things.
I know, I’m being dramatic again – but stubborn weight loss is not really our enemy. It’s simply a revelation that we only have one more small bridge to cross before we have achieved our weight loss goals.
Stubborn Weight Loss Solution
If you are looking for a solution to stubborn weight loss and are fed up with trying different diets and fad programs, I recommend taking a closer look at the programs available on our website.
The Isagenix Cleansing Programs are not diets; they use nutritional cleansing to help to remove toxins and harmful impurities and put the body back into balance.