What Does It Mean to Cleanse Your Body?
When it comes to cleansing your body, what you need to know is simply this: you don’t need to resort to a special restrictive diet or rigorous detox program to get the cleansing results you are seeking.
In fact, one of the most ancient methods of cleansing the body is also still one of the best! Essential oils have been in use for literally thousands of years. UTNE describes how history shows evidence of essential oils use for both physical and spiritual cleansing as far back as 1500 B.C.E.! Practitioners of Ayurvedic healing, Chinese medicine and holistic healers have been quietly continuing to use simple, natural essential oils to accomplish whole body cleansing.
In this article, you will find a complete guide to kickstarting your personal cleanse program using only all-natural, pure and wholesome essential oils. We hope you enjoy it!
Quiz: Is Your Body TOXIC? Take the Test...
Why Does Your Body Need Cleansing?
According to health expert Dr. Mehmet Oz, the true meaning of the word “cleanse” is to support and assist the body to eliminate unnatural or toxic materials absorbed from the polluted world we live in.
These toxins can include pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, fossil fuels emissions, pollen, pet dander, mold and mildew spores, germs, bacteria, fungi, viruses, chemicals from commercial cleaners and home care products and so many more.
The body often struggles to rid itself of these toxins, since they come in with every breath of air we take. They are in our water, our food and our atmosphere. (If you want to learn more about your specific physical level of body toxicity, this helpful quiz may be right up your alley!).
This is why sometimes we need to give the body a bit of deliberate help by offering cleansing essential oils that will supplement the immune system’s own efforts to detoxify the body.
6 Super Ways to Cleanse With Essential Oils
These essential oils recipes will increase your body’s ability to flush out the toxins that can cause weight gain, digestive disturbance, mood shifts, insomnia, depression and anxiety, skin blemishes and other distressing health consequences.
Quiz: Is Your Body TOXIC? Take the Test...
1. Cleanse with lemon essential oil.
According to health expert Dr. Josh Axe, lemon is one of the most powerful and best known natural cleansers of all time.
Lemon is an incredible helper to your body’s lymphatic system, which is the system that is tasked with detecting, trapping and then draining toxins out of your body. Lemon is an overall “generalist” natural detoxification agent and cleanser – it can effectively cleanse the whole body system.
According to Organic Facts, lemon essential oil is a natural astringent, disinfectant, anti-septic, anti-fungal and detoxifier.
Here are three wonderful ways to use lemon essential oil to cleanse your body:
- Add two drops of lemon essential oil into eight ounces of distilled or spring water. Drink this three times per day.
- Use a diffuser to diffuse lemon essential oil into the air.
- Mix a few drops of lemon essential oil with your favorite carrier oil (coconut, jojoba, almond, et al) and rub it on your neck and skin.
2. Cleanse with oregano essential oil.
Health expert Dr. Mercola is a huge proponent of oregano essential oil. This wonderful essential oil has a powerful effect as an anti-fungal and is now being promoted for use to speed up healing from parasitic and fungal infections, urinary tract infections (UTIs), respiratory infections and even the common cold!
Here are three great ways to use oregano essential oil to cleanse your body:
- Add a few drops of pure oregano essential oil to 8 ounces of spring water or distilled water. Drink as needed but not more than three times per day.
- Add a few drops of oregano oil to your favorite carrier oil and spread on the skin to help with wound healing or ease muscle aches and stiffness.
- Add 1-2 drops of oregano oil to heated spring water or distilled water and inhale deeply to help cleanse your respiratory system and lungs.
3. Cleanse with peppermint essential oil.
Long renowned as a source of relief from digestive upset,Natural Living Ideas explains how peppermint essential oil is now being studied for its benefits to heal the body from viruses and infections as well.
Here are three wonderful ways to use peppermint essential oil to cleanse your body:
- Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a cup of heated spring water or distilled water and drink as a soothing tea.
- Add 1-3 drops of peppermint oil to your diffuser.
- Add 1-3 drops of peppermint essential oil to hot steaming spring water or distilled water and inhale.
4. Cleanse with tea tree essential oil.
Tea tree essential oil, also called Melaleuca oil, has antimicrobial, anti-bacterial, expectorant, anti-viral, anti-fungal and insecticide properties.
As Organic Facts points out, it is important to distinguish tea tree essential oil from the tea and from tea oil. Neither are quite the same as the essential oil, which is extracted using a different process from a different plant.
So be sure you are using the right type to get all the benefits listed here. You can find a complete outline of all the wonderful benefits of tea tree essential oil by accessing this helpful complete guide to essential oils.
Here are three wonderful ways to use tea tree essential oil to cleanse your body:
- Add 1-2 drops of tea tree essential oil to 8 ounces of spring water or distilled water for detoxifying the body. Do not drink more than once daily.
- Topically apply 1-2 drops of this oil directly on the skin where the muscles or joints are stiff or tight.
- Add up to 4 drops of the tea tree essential oil along with at least four ounces of water to your diffuser.
5. Cleanse with rose essential oil.
Who doesn’t love the scent of roses? Rose is also one of the most highly prized (and sometimes highly priced) essential oils on the planet, according to Natural Living Ideas
Luckily, a little amount of rose essential oil can go a very long way, and you can get a great amount of cleansing power from just a tiny vial!
Here are three wonderful ways to use rose essential oil to cleanse your body:
- Add 1-3 drops to your normal skin or face moisturizer.
- Add 1-4 drops to your diffuser and inhale the rose scent.
- Apply a single drop to the skin in areas where you have blemishes.
6. Cleanse with ginger essential oil.
Ginger, like peppermint, has a long and well known history of use for easing digestive woes. But ginger has so many other wonderful cleansing and healing properties as well!
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), ginger essential oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties to ease major health issues such as chronic inflammation (i.e. arthritis, auto-immune disease) and heart disease.
Here are three wonderful ways to use ginger essential oil to cleanse your body:
- Add 2-3 drops of ginger essential oil to a warm bath and soak.
- Apply ginger essential oil topically to the abdominal area to ease nausea and stomach upset.
- Add 1-2 drops of ginger essential oil to heated spring water or distilled water and drink as a tea.
We hope you have enjoyed this guide for how to jumpstart your cleansing process using essential oils. For more tips and guidance (and plenty more great recipes!) we invite you to consult our complete guide to essential oils.